The Chief of Staff would serve as the “central node” within GovAI, reporting only to the Director. A range of crucial responsibilities, most of which currently sit with the Director, would be taken over by the Chief of Staff. These responsibilities include:
- Serving as a manager for core members of the GovAI team.
- Tracking progress on GovAI’s ongoing programmes and evaluating the organisation’s success at achieving its intermediate goals.
- Playing a key role in growing the team and shaping the culture of the organisation.
- Various other responsibilities as agreed with the Director.
To some extent, the set of additional responsibilities granted to the Chief of Staff can be varied depending on the abilities and interests of the person filling the role. Examples of optional or individual-dependent responsibilities include recruiting and interfacing with other organisations.
We believe that the right candidate could significantly increase the organisation’s long-run impact and ability to expand its activities.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss the details of the role.
The ideal candidate would demonstrate the following attributes:
- Excellent project management skills. This involves the ability to oversee many projects at once, prioritise appropriately, proactively seek process improvements, and keep high-level goals in mind while engaging with details.
- High proficiency and interest in managing teams and helping individuals to succeed.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication skills.
- Attunement to matters of organisational culture; interest in building and maintaining healthy cultures.
- Some existing familiarity with the field of AI governance. Ideally, the candidate has worked in the field; however, this is not required. Research experience is also desired but not required.
Benefits and location
This is a full-time role. The successful candidate will be expected to work from our main office in Oxford, UK. We are able to sponsor visas.
Salaries within GovAI are typically determined by a standardised set of salary principles, which account for relevant experience. We expect the principles to imply a salary between £55,000 and £75,000 for experienced candidates. However, this is an unusually critical role for our organisation. Further, we recognise that some of the most promising candidates may currently earn substantially higher salaries in the private sector. We would therefore be open to considering a substantially higher salary range if this would impact the decision of our preferred candidate. Please reach out to email@example.com if uncertainty regarding compensation might prevent you from applying.
Benefits associated with the role include health, dental, and vision insurance, flexible work hours, extended parental leave, ergonomic equipment, 3% pension contribution, and 25 days of paid vacation.
GovAI is a research and community-building organisation that aims to help clarify and mitigate risks from advanced artificial intelligence. Learn more about our mission, history, and projects here.
How to apply
Apply using the form below. You will be asked to submit a CV, provide references, and answer a few questions. The first page of the application form will give more detail on the materials you will be asked to submit. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We expect to begin offering work trials to the most promising candidates early next year.